Classic Fruit CakeBy Claire Brookman On Nov 08, 2020
Cooking Classic fruit cake step by step details? If you are looking cooking tips for Classic fruit cake you've come to the right place. We have how to make, information, instruction, ingredients and including image, and video detail.
Christmas is coming, so get into the spirit of the festive season with this moist fruit cake.
All you have to do is throw all your ingredients of Classic Fruit Cake
- 1kg mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup red glace cherries, halved
- 1 cup pitted dried dates, finely chopped
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 200g butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2/3 cup brandy
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup blanched whole almonds
- warmed apricot jam, to serve
The instruction how to make Classic Fruit Cake
- Place dried fruit, cherries, dates, sugar, butter, orange rind, orange juice, mixed spice, bicarbonate of soda and 1/2 cup brandy in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 160u00b0C/140u00b0C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan. Line with 3 layers of baking paper, leaving a 5cm overhang.
- Add egg to dried fruit mixture. Stir until just combined. Sift flour over mixture. Stir to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Smooth surface. Tap pan on bench top to settle mixture. Arrange almonds around edge of mixture. Bake for 3 hours to 3 hours 30 minutes, covering with foil after 2 hours, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Drizzle over remaining brandy. Wrap pan in foil, then in a tea towel. Cool completely. Brush cake top with jam. Serve.
Nutritions of Classic Fruit Cake
fatContent: 394.111 calories
saturatedFatContent: 10.7 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 5.9 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 66.2 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 4.2 grams protein
sodiumContent: 54 milligrams cholesterol