Sticky Date Layer CakeBy Curtis Stone On Sep 27, 2020
Cooking Sticky date layer cake step by step details? If you are looking cooking tips for Sticky date layer cake you've come to the right place. We have how to make, information, instruction, ingredients and including image, and video detail.
Top this sensational sticky date layer cake with candied mandarins for the perfect finish. Recipe by Curtis Stone.
All you have to do is throw all your ingredients of Sticky Date Layer Cake
- 2 cups pitted dates (about 280g), coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups (275g) plain flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 2/3 cups (590g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthways, or 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1kg cream cheese, softened
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
The instruction how to make Sticky Date Layer Cake
- To make the cake, in a bowl, stir 1 3/4 cups of boiling water, dates and bicarbonate of soda. Cover and soak for 4 hours or until dates are very soft.
- Position a rack in centre of oven and preheat oven to 175C (155C fan-forced). Generously spray a 20cm square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and line base with baking paper.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat sugar and butter, scraping sides as needed, for about 3 mins or until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix for about 1 min, or until mixture lightens in colour. Reduce speed to low and gradually mix in flour mixture and then date mixture, scraping bowl as needed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish. Bake, without moving, for about 1 hour 5 mins or until cake springs back when gently pressed and a toothpick inserted into centre of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Transfer to a rack and cool for 30 mins.
- Run a knife around edges to loosen cake. Invert cake onto rack and remove baking paper. Cool cake upside down on rack (this will help level it out).
- To make the vanilla toffee frosting, using a paring knife, scrape seeds from vanilla beans and place seeds in a large bowl with cream cheese, butter, sugar, and salt. Using an electric handheld mixer, beat on medium speed for about 6 mins or until smooth and fluffy.
- Halve cake horizontally into 2 even layers. Dab some frosting on a cake plate and centre 1 cake layer, cut-side up, on frosting. Brush away any loose crumbs from cake. Using an offset spatula or palette knife, spread 1u00bd cups of frosting over cake to form a smooth even layer. Top with other cake layer, cut-side down. Press firmly to adhere layers. Spread 2 cups of frosting over top and sides of cake to form a smooth thin layer. Refrigerate cake for about 30 mins or until frosting is not tacky.
- Spread the remaining frosting decoratively all over the cake to form a smooth coat. Refrigerate for 30 mins or until frosting is firm.
Nutritions of Sticky Date Layer Cake
fatContent: 488.755 calories
saturatedFatContent: 26 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 16 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 59 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 49 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 7 grams protein