Lemon Meringue CakesBy Louise Pickford On Jul 25, 2020
Cooking Lemon meringue cakes step by step details? If you are looking cooking tips for Lemon meringue cakes you've come to the right place. We have how to make, information, instruction, ingredients and including image, and video detail.
Make the meringue cake in advance and blowtorch the meringue just before eating its quite the party trick!
All you have to do is throw all your ingredients of Lemon Meringue Cakes
- 350g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 350g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 350g (2 1/3 cups) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 lemons, rind finely grated
- 250g bought lemon curd
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
The instruction how to make Lemon Meringue Cakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease two 22cm (base measurement) square cake pans and line the bases with baking paper.
- Process butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and lemon rind in a food processor until smooth. Divide between prepared pans. Smooth the surfaces and bake for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Set aside in the pans for 5 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use a 7cm round pastry cutter to cut out 6 rounds from each cake (freeze the remaining cake and use for another dish, such as a trifle). Use a serrated knife to cut each cake round in half horizontally to make 24 rounds. Sandwich 4 cake rounds with lemon curd to create a small cake. Repeat with the remaining cake rounds and lemon curd to make 6 small cakes, spreading any remaining lemon curd lightly over the top and sides of the cakes. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
- To make the meringue icing, stir the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, without stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture reaches 115u00b0C (soft ball stage) on a sugar thermometer. While the syrup continues to cook, use electric beaters with a whisk attachment to whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl until soft peaks form. When the syrup reaches 120u00b0C (hard ball stage), and with beaters on low speed, gradually add the syrup to egg white mixture. Increase speed to high. Whisk for 5 minutes or until thick, glossy and cooled.
- Use a flat-bladed knife to spread the meringue mixture over cakes, creating a swirled pattern on top. Use a cooku2019s blowtorch to lightly caramelise the cakes.
Nutritions of Lemon Meringue Cakes