Dhal With Spicy Onion And EggplantBy Katrina Woodman On Jul 09, 2020
Cooking Dhal with spicy onion and eggplant step by step details? If you are looking cooking tips for Dhal with spicy onion and eggplant you've come to the right place. We have how to make, information, instruction, ingredients and including image, and video detail.
Garlic and fresh curry leaves help drive the aromatic lure of this red lentil stew.
All you have to do is throw all your ingredients of Dhal With Spicy Onion And Eggplant
- 2L (8 cups) water
- 210g (1 cup) red lentils, rinsed
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 15g butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (see note)
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Fresh mint leaves, to serve
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 large red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 200g eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 long fresh red chilli, thinly sliced
The instruction how to make Dhal With Spicy Onion And Eggplant
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add lentils and cook, skimming the foam off the surface and discarding, for 5 minutes. Stir in the onion, carrot, garlic, chilli and turmeric. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the lentils break down. Stir in the salt and season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the cumin and mustard seeds for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add curry leaves and stir for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add tomato. Simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Add the tomato mixture to the lentil mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until thick.
- To make the spicy onion and eggplant, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Stir for 7 minutes or until soft. Stir in eggplant and remaining oil. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until eggplant is almost tender. Season. Add garlic and chilli. Stir for 5 minutes or until aromatic and eggplant is golden. Transfer to a bowl.
- Transfer the dhal to a bowl. Top with the coriander and mint. Serve with the spicy onion and eggplant.
Nutritions of Dhal With Spicy Onion And Eggplant
fatContent: 396.74 calories
saturatedFatContent: 20 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 37 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 18 grams protein