PiccalilliBy Sarah Hobbs On Nov 15, 2020
Cooking Piccalilli step by step details? If you are looking cooking tips for Piccalilli you've come to the right place. We have how to make, information, instruction, ingredients and including image, and video detail.
Traditional piccalilli is the perfect accompaniment to cold meat or bottle it up with a bow for a delicious food gift.
All you have to do is throw all your ingredients of Piccalilli
- 8 cups (2 litres) boiling water
- 200g rock salt
- 1/2 (about 400g) cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 4 pickling onions, peeled, halved
- 200g green beans, trimmed, sliced diagonally into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 zucchini, ends trimmed, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, seeded, cut into 1cm pieces
- 4 cups (1 litre) cider or malt vinegar
- 1/2 cup (75g) raw sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
The instruction how to make Piccalilli
- Combine the water and salt in a large bowl and stir until salt dissolves completely. Set aside for 1 hour to cool completely.
- Place the cauliflower and onion in a medium glass or ceramic bowl. Place the beans, zucchini and cucumber in another glass or ceramic bowl. Pour the cooled saltwater evenly over the cauliflower mixture and the bean mixture. Place a small plate over each bowl to make sure the vegetables are completely submerged in salt mixture. Set aside for 24 hours.
- Strain the cauliflower mixture well and set aside. Repeat with the bean mixture, keeping both vegetable mixtures separate.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, garlic, allspice and nutmeg in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Add the cauliflower mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the bean mixture and cook for a further 4 minutes or until tender but still slightly crisp. Drain well, reserving the vinegar mixture.
- Combine the flour, mustard powder, turmeric and ginger in a small bowl. Add a couple of tablespoonfuls of the vinegar mixture and stir to combine. Transfer to the pan and, while stirring, gradually add the remaining vinegar mixture. Place over high heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Return the vegetables to the sauce mixture.
- Ladle evenly among 3 x 500ml or into one 1.5 litre sterilised preserving jars. Seal immediately and turn upside down for 2 minutes. Turn upright and set aside to cool completely. Label and date. Serve with cold meats and cheese.
Nutritions of Piccalilli