Caldo VerdeBy Sophia Young On Nov 02, 2020
Cooking Caldo Verde step by step details? If you are looking cooking tips for Caldo Verde you've come to the right place. We have how to make, information, instruction, ingredients and including image, and video detail.
If one was to name a national dish of Portugal, this simple soup (literally, green soup) would probably be it. Traditionally made with couve gallego, a dark green, flat variety of cabbage not grown here, it can be substituted with cavolo nero, silverbeet and even gai lan (Chinese broccoli).
All you have to do is throw all your ingredients of Caldo Verde
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1kg desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 litres Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 150g cavolo nero or silverbeet leaves
- 300g dried chourico (chorizo), cut into 3mm-thick slices
- Cornbread (see related recipe), to serve
- Piri piri seasoning, to serve
The instruction how to make Caldo Verde
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and garlic, and cook until fragrant. Add stock and bay leaves, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Set aside 2 cups of potatoes.
- Using a stick blender, puree the remaining soup in the pan, then return the reserved potatoes to the soup and bring to a simmer. If the soup is too thick, thin with a little water.
- Meanwhile, cut out the centre stems from the cavolo nero or silverbeet, then stack 3u00e2u20acu201c4 leaves at a time and roll the leaves up lengthwise like a cigar. Thinly slice into shreds widthwise, add to the soup and cook for 5u00e2u20acu201c8 minutes or until tender, then season with sea salt.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and fry chourico for 1 minute each side or until golden.
- Ladle the soup among bowls and top with chourico. Serve with piri piri and corn bread.
Nutritions of Caldo Verde
You may also like :
- Open Beef, Spinach & Feta Pies
- Cheats Beef And Mushroom Ragu
- Moroccan Roast Chicken With Apricot And Pistachio Couscous Stuffing
- Marinated Vegetables, Pastrami & Feta Focaccia
- Teriyaki Salmon With Pickled Vegetables
- Roasted Lamb Rack & Spring Vegetables
- Ferrero Rocher Brownies
- Cheats Mini Berry Jelly Trifle Recipe